at Advocates for Children
151 West 30th Street
New York, NY 10001
According to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act, LEA liaisons have the responsibility to ensure that:
- Children and youth experiencing homelessness are identified by school personnel and through coordination activities with other agencies;
- Children and youth experiencing homelessness enroll in, and have a full and equal opportunity to succeed in, schools of that LEA;
- Families, children and youth experiencing homelessness receive educational service for which such families and youth are eligible;
- The parents/guardians of children and youth who are homeless are informed of the educational and related opportunities available to their children and are provided with meaningful opportunities to participate in their children's education;
- Public notice of the educational rights of children and youth who are homeless is disseminated where such children and youth receive services, such as schools, family shelters, and soup kitchens;
- Enrollment disputes are mediated; and
- The parent or guardian of a homeless child or youth, and any unaccompanied youth, is fully informed of all transportation services, including transportation to the school of origin.
M-V Section 722(g)(6)(A).
Upcoming Workshops and Trainings
Dec 8,16,17 - NYC Workshops
Dec 4 - Southern Westchester BOCES
Winter/Spring 2015-16 Webinar Schedule Coming Soon