at Advocates for Children
151 West 30th Street
New York, NY 10001
PLEASE NOTE: The information and resources included on this page are current through October 2016.
Important changes related to McKinney-Vento were included in the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA). The changes take effect October 1, 2016, and include: expanded transportation protections, enhanced access to pre-school, privacy protections and stronger supports for unaccompanied youth who are homeless. For more information about the new changes, please refer to materials prepared by the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY): ESSA - Legislation.
Please continue to check here for updated information about how new federal law will impact policies and procedures in New York State, and as always, feel free to contact NYS-TEACHS at 800-388-2014 with any questions you may have.
According to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act, LEA liaisons have the responsibility to ensure that:
- Children and youth experiencing homelessness are identified by school personnel and through coordination activities with other agencies;
- Children and youth experiencing homelessness enroll in, and have a full and equal opportunity to succeed in, schools of that LEA;
- Families, children and youth experiencing homelessness receive educational service for which such families and youth are eligible;
- The parents/guardians of children and youth who are homeless are informed of the educational and related opportunities available to their children and are provided with meaningful opportunities to participate in their children's education;
- Public notice of the educational rights of children and youth who are homeless is disseminated where such children and youth receive services, such as schools, family shelters, and soup kitchens;
- Enrollment disputes are mediated; and
- The parent or guardian of a homeless child or youth, and any unaccompanied youth, is fully informed of all transportation services, including transportation to the school of origin.
M-V Section 722(g)(6)(A).
Upcoming Workshops and Trainings
10/17/16 Training at Nassau BOCES
10/26/16 Training at Eastern Suffolk BOCES
11/17/16 Workshop in Rochester
11/29/16 Workshop in Albany
09/20/16 Understanding ESSA in New York State
09/27/16 Transportation for Students in Temporary Housing (NYC)
09/29/16 Transportation for Students in Temporary Housing (NYS)